A Learner's Journey

A New Direction …

| 1 Comment

It has been 10 weeks now in my new role as School Advisor with the Catholic Education Office Melbourne. I am loving my new job and learning everyday from colleagues within the office and out in schools as I visit and work with them. Some of my learnings so far …

• every school is different, and yet so similar! There are many of the same joys and struggles shared by the schools I have visited, each with its own particularity and flavour.
  • schools really are focused on meeting the needs of their students. This happens in many different ways and some schools seem to do this more easily than others, but everyone has that strong desire to be student-centred.
  • there are many, many wonderful teachers in schools doing amazing things with their students. Opportunities to both glimpse and share this is a source of insight and learning.
  • the Leadership Team play such a key role within a school and set the tone for collegiality and collaboration.

The overwhelming thing I feel is there is so much to learn! What a fantastic opportunity I have been given to work with a diversity of schools to improve student learning whilst at the same time, deepening my own understanding of leadership, student voice, the use of data to drive learning and learning design.

After this, I give up.  Probably.
Photo Credit: Curtis Alan Jackson via Compfight

One Comment

1. Mary,
    Reading your blog summarises my feelings as well. We need to celebrate the great stuff happening more in our classrooms and schools. I agree that it feels like a privilege to visit schools and learn so much !
    Well said

Celia