A Learner's Journey

Leading for Change

| 0 comments

Uni is well underway for the Semester and the learning has been relevant and engaging thus far. The subjects for this semester are Leading Educational Change and Perspectives in Leadership and both are very interconnected, really optimizing the learning for me. We have been considering what leading for change looks like and how as leaders, we can best enable change that is embedded and sustained. This clip by Pat Zigami was illuminating in considering the typical concerns that people have regarding change.

She summarises the key concerns as;

1. INFORMATION – Tell me about this change? Why? What do we know about this?
  2. PERSONAL – What’s in it for me? How will this impact me? Can I succeed in this?
  3. IMPLEMENTATION – How will this really work? What happens if I need help?
  4. IMPACT – Will this change make any difference?
  5. COLLABORATION – How do we get everyone involved?
  6. REFINEMENT – How will we know we have succeeded? How will we evaluate this change?

It is very easy to view those who struggle with the notion of change simply as ‘blockers’ and ‘resistors’ rather than digging a little deeper to discern what the struggles are actually about. Pat states that concerns are usually questions and if we can anticipate them and respond to them rather than dismissing them, we are more likely to be successful with our change initiative.

This is a fresh perspective on working with  staff in seeking change – less judgement  and clear and direct communication may be a better way of involving all staff in the process of change.

What factors have enhanced your experience of change in schools?