A Learner's Journey

What I am looking forward to

| 0 comments

As fourth term looms closer by the minute, I have been thinking about what it is I am looking forward to in the next few weeks. Here are a few things …

I am looking forward to sharing one of my favourite children’s books, Boy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman with my class of 3/4’s. I have read this aloud before and it is a real winner with the students. Gleitzman is a master at dealing with a serious situation with humour and emotion and I remember last time I read this to a class, the conversations it lead to were amazing.

I am looking forward to starting our fourth term favourite, Author Study. Although sceptical of this in my first year back to teaching, I now appreciate how much the students absolutely LOVE Author Study. Some came into my class in February asking about when we would be starting it! I enjoy seeing the students pursue an author that they love and I really look forward to seeing some of the creative and interesting ways I know they will come up with to express their learning from reading the author’s texts. 

I am looking forward to our Inquiry Unit on Energy. This is not the easiest unit for me to lead as it is way out of my comfort zone. But I think that fact actually gives me a wonderful opportunity to be a genuine co-learner as we inquire together. I can’t wait to see what ideas the students have for choosing an aspect of energy to explore and ultimately present to the class. 

I am looking forward to completing my Masters in Religious Education – 2 assignments to go! The last two years of study have been wonderful and have led me to many unexpected places. I have learnt lots but I have also developed a curiosity about many aspects of leadership and spent much time ‘off the topic’ but following up an area of interest. I am actually looking forward to writing my next assignment which is a personal reflection on a spirituality text. I am enjoying the opportunity to express my learning in a form other than an essay and look forward to putting my photo reflection together. I also know that I will actually miss study next year!! In fairness to my family, I need to take a break but I will miss the structure of formal study. The flip side is I will have the opportunity to get stuck into the pile of Professional Reading I have that has been on hold for sometime (not to mention the MANY resources I have saved into my diigo account!)

I am looking forward to completing the Contemporary Teaching and Learning in Mathematics project this term. This PD has been a whole staff, two year commitment and has changed the way we understand and teach Maths. Having the opportunity to work with the Maths Advisors for planning and watching demonstration lessons from some inspiring ACU staff has been a great learning experience and led to many rich collegial discussions. The challenge now will be to maintain the impetus and enthusiasm and to continue to strive for richer, more open-ended Maths teaching and learning.

SO what are YOU looking forward to in the coming term?